Tuesday, July 5, 2011

This Dish reminds Me of a Very Special Friend



Like me, do you have that one friend with who you have laughed and cried? One who knows everything about you, well, almost everything! That friend who knows you and knows what is best for you and scolds when you have strayed. That friend who is still you partner in crime, the one with who you share your little secrets, your favourite shopping buddy. Well, Rachel to me is all that and more. There were some added advantages to this little friendship that began in our girl’s hostel in college, since Rachel is a Kerala girl she knew age ayurvedic remedies that would heal my black and blue bruises (the details of how I got them is our little secret), she would oil my hair and she makes the world’s best Prawn Moilee. We are both tied up now, we make sure to catch up a couple of times over the phone or internet but are work has taken us to different cities and really miss her yummy prawn moilee. So, as a dedication to my friend and the good times we have spent together and the our bond and friendship in the years to come, today I am cooking Rachel’s prawn moilee. The tangy tomatoes, the sweetness of coconut milk and the fragrance of curry leaves , I was mesmerised and I got a compliment from my sister, which, believe me is like getting a Grammy for Cooking in my world. I hope this recipe will earn you great taste and great compliments.

Rachel’s Prawn Moilee
Ingredients
Prawns              600g, cleaned and deveined
Onion              1 large and chopped
Tomato          2, chopped
Ginger           15g, grated
Curry leaves     6-8 nos.
Mustard Seeds     5g
Green Chilli       2, slit
Turmeric         5g
Salt                to taste
Black Pepper                 5g
Coriander powder       5g
Coconut Milk         100ml
Ghee                       10ml

Method:
Marinate prawns with salt, turmeric and ginger for half hour.

Steam prawns in a strainer placed over boiling water for three minutes until they turn white, set aside and do not overcook. Make sure the prawns are properly spread out.

Heat ghee in a pan, add mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds start crackling add curry leaves, add the slit green chilli, fry for one minute.

Add in the finely chopped onion, fry until light golden in colour. Then, add in the tomatoes, cook for about three to four minutes until the tomatoes are cooked.

Add in the prawns cook for one minute. Add the coconut milk, simmer for two minutes.

Serve hot with steamed rice. 

2 comments:

  1. you need not steam the prawn-cook the cleaned prawn preferably tail on and see the difference- I hope rachel agree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sin-ooo thank you for your feedback. It is certainly not necessary to steam the prawns however, I have come to realize that steamed prawns remain more juicy than the ones cooked directly over the flame because they are less likely to get overcooked.

    I appreciate your suggestion and I would love to experiment and try the curry without steaming. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete